If you know me at all, you know that I am NOT a very good cook. I mean, I am feeding my family and we are surviving. HA. But it’s always just ok. BUT somehow, even I am managing to surprise myself. My cooking skills actually ARE getting better!
It only took almost NINE YEARS OF MARRIAGE for the skills to finally decide to sharpen. Wowzers. Thankfully I have a patient hubby. HA.
I am really fond of trying to make simple things that can be used in a variety of ways. Breads and sauces are the first things that come to mind. I found this recipe on Pinterest for a Roasted Red Pepper Sauce to put over raviolis and I thought I’d give it a whirl! And I’d so much rather make a sauce for my pasta than buy it store bought. Not only can you puree veggies and sneak them into the sauce without affecting the taste, but it only requires the simpliest of ingredients. And I think that food should be exactly that- SIMPLE.
So check it out. Whip up your favorite pasta, add this yummy sauce, and some homemade garlic bread. Yummy comfort food at it’s best.
3 red bell peppers
2-3 Tbsp onion
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 C fresh basil
3 Tbsp olive oil
1- 1 1/2 C half and half
1 tsp cornstarch
1/3 C grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese
2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat broiler. Cut peppers in half and remove seeds. Lightly coat the peppers with olive oil and place cut side down on cookie sheet. Place under broiler until skin is blackened and softened. Place in a paper bag an alllow to steam for about 5-10 minutes.
2. Remove the skin from the peppers and cut into small pieces.
3. In a frying pan saute the garlic, sliced basil, red peppers and onion in olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes.
4. Mix corn starch and half and half together well, no lumps.
5. Place mixture into blender (be careful it will be hot, leave the lid of blender slightly askew but not enough so that it will spray out) Mix to desired consistency. Put mixture back in frying pan and heat to a boil. Add in half and half to the desired consistency. Add in cheese and cook until cheese melts. Stir in butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. If it thickens too much add some additional half and half.
6. Pour over cooked ravioli or pasta of your choice and ENJOY.